ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Pic of the Week

8-18-16aa.JPG
Close
Filename=8-18-16aa.JPG Filesize=398KB Dimensions=1179x819 Date added=Aug 17, 2016
Willimantic Camp Meeting Association WorkersWillimantic businessman Henry C. Hall is shown with a group of workers at the Willimantic Camp Meeting Association. In addition to his Main Street grocery store, Hall, for several years, ran the boarding house and restaurant that served the temporary inhabitants of the Association during their annual meeting. As many as five thousand would attend the week long meeting.
8-11-2016-a.JPG
Close
Filename=8-11-2016-a.JPG Filesize=219KB Dimensions=1068x672 Date added=Aug 11, 2016
Construction of the Power Company's Scotland Dam The photo shows an early stage of the Uncas Power Company’s Scotland Dam construction project. It was completed in 1909 at a cost of about $150,000. It supplied power to the town of Norwich.
8-4-2016-pow.JPG
Close
Filename=8-4-2016-pow.JPG Filesize=287KB Dimensions=2048x1350 Date added=Aug 04, 2016
The Back Road District schoolhouseChildren are gathered outside the Back Road District’s schoolhouse (at the corner of Beaver Hill Road). Perhaps some other family members joined in the the picture because throughout the years, the Back Road District averaged only ten students and, in 1897, it was consolidated with the Windham Center District. We believe the gentleman in the photo to be Windham Selectman Charles Spafford who taught at the school.
7-28-2016-pow.jpg
Close
Filename=7-28-2016-pow.jpg Filesize=332KB Dimensions=1495x1192 Date added=Jul 28, 2016
ATCO workers housingThese are the backyards of workers’ housing owned by the American Thread Company. These buildings are privately owned today and are located on the south side of Main Street just before the intersection of Ash Street.
7-21-2016-pow.jpg
Close
Filename=7-21-2016-pow.jpg Filesize=612KB Dimensions=2047x1433 Date added=Jul 22, 2016
House and family on Windham Center RoadHouse and family on Windham Center Road. In the late 1890s, Northern Survey Company photographers went to many small Connecticut towns and photographed not only houses but the inhabitants as well. In many of the photographs, peoples possessions such as farm animals, implements and other items were included. These photographs are hard to find today but provide a fascinating look at life just before 1900.
7-14-2016.jpg
Close
Filename=7-14-2016.jpg Filesize=412KB Dimensions=1405x2048 Date added=Jul 14, 2016
Pan American Clipper "America" at Windham AirportThis is the Pan American Clipper Ship “America” at Windham airport after it made an emergency belly landing there on June 18, 1946. On board at the time were actress Vivien Leigh and her husband, Laurence Olivier. The plane sat at the airport for over a month while extensive repairs were made. During its first two days at the airport, over three thousand people came to see it. When it finally took flight again on July 24, crowds again lined the banks of the airport to watch. Read an eyewitness story by Adrian Atkins in our Pic of the Week Forum.
7-7-2016-abbb.jpg
Close
Filename=7-7-2016-abbb.jpg Filesize=563KB Dimensions=1920x1010 Date added=Jul 07, 2016
Maverick LaundryThe Maverick Laundry started out in Willimantic’s Melony block in 1903 and moved to its new home at 1150 Main Street in 1940. The building later became home to Wile Motors and then Superior Electronics.
6-30-2016.jpg
Close
Filename=6-30-2016.jpg Filesize=812KB Dimensions=2047x1397 Date added=Jul 07, 2016
The Grex Club's float for the 1911 Fourth of July ParadeThe Grex Club, sponsored by the First Congregational Church, existed for only 9 years but during that time was extremely active in Willimantic events. It sponsored several sports teams and hosted many dances and minstrels.
6-23-2016.JPG
Close
Filename=6-23-2016.JPG Filesize=58KB Dimensions=799x481 Date added=Jun 23, 2016
Pollack's Mill addition This photo shows the construction of an addition to the Pollack Mill (also known as the Conantville Mill). The older section of the mill later became home to the famous Shaboo nightclub. Since this addition was on the backside of the mill, it was not often seen by patrons of the place, who mostly arrived after dark and entered the front door next to the big Shaboo Inn sign. Thank you to Walker for the added information.
6-16-2016-adj.jpg
Close
Filename=6-16-2016-adj.jpg Filesize=262KB Dimensions=1503x1081 Date added=Jun 22, 2016
Green Meadows Inn This was the Green Meadows Inn which was located at 1510 West Main Street (just about where Capitol Garage is today). It was popular not only as a restaurant but also a banquet hall and a meeting place for local organizations. It closed in 1943 after a fire that was later determined to have been set by the operator of the Inn.
6-9-2016a.jpg
Close
Filename=6-9-2016a.jpg Filesize=256KB Dimensions=1455x942 Date added=Jun 09, 2016
The Old Type Shop in South WindhamThe old type shop which is located on Type Road in Windham. In 1878, it was operated by the American Wood Type Company. The company moved from South Windham in 1904 after its latest owner, Tubbs Wood Type, sold out to a Michigan company.
5-19-2016-maybe.jpg
Close
Filename=5-19-2016-maybe.jpg Filesize=511KB Dimensions=2047x1152 Date added=May 19, 2016
Smith-Winchester's "shop oxen"Roy Doubleday leads the “shop oxen” from the Smith-Winchester Manufacturing Company. The photo was taken in front of the original South Windham bridge over the Shetucket River.
4-21-2016-pow.JPG
Close
Filename=4-21-2016-pow.JPG Filesize=295KB Dimensions=1150x1754 Date added=Apr 28, 2016
Telegraph Wire stringingThis photo was taken in back of the Willimantic railroad station and shows workmen stringing Western Union telegraph lines. The poles were also used by the telephone company and for electric power lines that originated at the Willimantic Electric Light Company. The footbridge can be seen in the background.
4-14-2016-pow-a.jpg
Close
Filename=4-14-2016-pow-a.jpg Filesize=584KB Dimensions=2047x1428 Date added=Apr 13, 2016
Cattle Exhibition at the FairgroundsThis is a cattle exhibition at the Willimantic Fairgrounds (now Rec Park). The Willimantic Fair began in 1877 and was originally sponsored by the “Willimantic Farmers’ Club”. After sponsorship went to The Willimantic Fair Association, horse racing became the main attraction. But at the beginning, the Farmers’ Club wanted to focus on cattle and gardening exhibitions so that the fair “would not degenerate into a simple horse trot”.
picofweek.jpg
Close
Filename=picofweek.jpg Filesize=247KB Dimensions=1490x1018 Date added=Aug 17, 2014
Previous Pics of the Week have been transferred.
 
31 files on 2 page(s) 2