ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 14 - Blocks

earlybuild-tc-1.jpg
Close
Filename=earlybuild-tc-1.jpg Filesize=299KB Dimensions=1024x815 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
Turner BlockThe Turner Block was built in 1877 by English-born merchant, Thomas Turner, who gave his name to Turner Street.
pic5c.jpg
Close
Filename=pic5c.jpg Filesize=130KB Dimensions=862x1024 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Turner Block/Windham Hotel The Windham Hotel was part of the Turner Block. The block had many owners over the years and by the time of the 1968 St. Valentine's Day fire, had become an apartment house.
blocks-turner.jpg
Close
Filename=blocks-turner.jpg Filesize=96KB Dimensions=1024x879 Date added=Jun 12, 2011
Turner Block following the St. Valentine's Day fire.The block survived the 1968 St. Valentine's Day fire, but was demolished in the early 1970s to make way for the Liberty Bank building
sl5.jpg
Close
Filename=sl5.jpg Filesize=785KB Dimensions=1515x1040 Date added=Oct 25, 2013
The Commercial Block and the Turner BuildingThe Commercial Block (661-677 Main St.) and the Turner Building (679-685 Main St.) were destroyed in the Saint Valentine’s Day fire of 1968. At the time the photo was taken, the buildings were occupied by the Grand Union Tea Company, Towne Photographers, Bowman’s Tailor Shop, Yonclas Confectionary, Danahey’s Barber Shop, Dondero’s Pool Room, Hunt’s Clothing Store and Giles Hardware. Pic of the Week for October 17, 2013.
715 Main-1.jpg
Close
Filename=715 Main-1.jpg Filesize=357KB Dimensions=1516x963 Date added=Oct 31, 2013
715 Main St. Once known as "The Atwood Block".At the time of the photo, it was home to Young’s Lunch as well as a shoemaker, a grocer and several small businesses. Pic of the Week October 24, 2013
blocks-tanner.jpg
Close
Filename=blocks-tanner.jpg Filesize=542KB Dimensions=1847x1435 Date added=Jun 20, 2013
The Tanner BlockNortheast corner of Main and North Streets
pic6d.jpg
Close
Filename=pic6d.jpg Filesize=110KB Dimensions=1024x613 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Tilden's BlockThe Tilden's Block displays a sign that reads, “Stoves, crockery, glass, tin ware, furniture, carpets, oil cloths, dry and fancy goods, ladies and children's cloaks and suits.” The block was completely renovated, inside and out, in 1894. The facade was completely redone and a third floor was added. In 1906, Marshall Tilden sold the block to the Jordan Brothers. It became known as the Jordan Block and was destroyed by fire in 1916.
tilden-2.jpg
Close
Filename=tilden-2.jpg Filesize=659KB Dimensions=1296x1098 Date added=Jun 23, 2014
Tilden-Jordan Block Here is the Tilden Block following the renovation of 1894. Note that the whole front facade has been changed and a third floor added. In 1906 it became the Jordan Block and housed the Jordan Hardware Co. It was destroyed in the fire of 1916.
blocks-tc-1.jpg
Close
Filename=blocks-tc-1.jpg Filesize=104KB Dimensions=1024x674 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
Jordan BlockThis is the Jordan Block. It was completely rebuilt after the devastating fire of 1916.
blocks-tc-2.jpg
Close
Filename=blocks-tc-2.jpg Filesize=127KB Dimensions=1024x759 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
pic1-a.jpg
Close
Filename=pic1-a.jpg Filesize=100KB Dimensions=1024x659 Date added=Jun 11, 2011
Savings InstituteThe Willimantic Savings Institute was the city's first brick block, built in 1869. It was also the first home of the Willimantic Normal School in 1892 -- the teacher training school that has evolved into Eastern Connecticut State University
5-8-14pow-b-2.jpg
Close
Filename=5-8-14pow-b-2.jpg Filesize=165KB Dimensions=1440x878 Date added=May 08, 2014
Mamlin-Tilden-Jordan BlockIn 1870,a “Mr. Hamlin” erected the two story building on Main St. shown inthis photo. It contained four small stores. In 1887 it was purchased by Marshall Tilden who, in in 1894, completely remodeled it. Upon completion of the remodeling it was called, “the most ornamental four story block in the city”. The “Tilden Block” was then purchased by the Jordan brothers in 1906 and became “the Jordan Block”. It was completely destroyed in a spectacular 1917 fire. Less than a year later, the Jordan Block had been completely rebuilt. The building is presently owned by the ECSU Foundation. Pic of the Week May 8, 2014
pic6a.jpg
Close
Filename=pic6a.jpg Filesize=158KB Dimensions=1024x889 Date added=Jun 11, 2011
Kimbel BlockThe Kimbel block was built in 1879, and has been a significant business and retail building in town. This view is also from Rich's 1894 collection of local urban views.
5-1-14a.jpg
Close
Filename=5-1-14a.jpg Filesize=459KB Dimensions=1571x1048 Date added=May 08, 2014
The Commercial Block - 661-677 Main StretThis is the Commercial Block. At the time of the photo, the ground floor stores were occupied by the Brick-Sullivan Shoe Company, Harry Rosen’s Department Store and G.H. Alford and Son Hardware Store. It was destroyed in the Saint Valentine's Day fire of 1969. Pic of the Week May 1, 2014
blocks-mazzola.jpg
Close
Filename=blocks-mazzola.jpg Filesize=116KB Dimensions=1024x747 Date added=Jun 11, 2011
The Mazzola Block and the Heller Block The Mazzola Block and the Heller Block are seen in this 1964 view of Main Street. Tin merchant Levi Frink built the Heller Block in the 1860s. It was demolished in 1970. The Mazzola Block was built in 1892 by Daniel Flaherty, and housed saloons and grocery stores until Prohibition. After World War One it became the city's first Italian-American grocery store.
pic6b.jpg
Close
Filename=pic6b.jpg Filesize=120KB Dimensions=1024x733 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Murray BlockEveryone knows it today as Hurley's Department Store, but here it is pictured just two years after it was built on the site of the old Brainerd Hotel. It was built by Scotsman Hugh Murray in 1892, and known by several generations as the Murray Block, or Murray's Boston Store.
24 files on 2 page(s) 1