ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 06 - Postcard Series

001.jpg
Close
Filename=001.jpg Filesize=299KB Dimensions=1024x886 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
In 1948, a company from Boston, Tichnor Quality Views, published a wallet of colorized postcard views of Willimantic, Coventry and the University of Connecticut printed on linen-style paper. They provide a valuable historical document of life in northeast Connecticut more than half a century ago.
pic2.jpg
Close
Filename=pic2.jpg Filesize=135KB Dimensions=606x1024 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The Nathan Hale Hotel was built in 1925, and was one of the finest hotels in eastern Connecticut. It lost its popularity after World War Two because of the advent of motor hotels, and the lack of parking spaces downtown.
pic2a.jpg
Close
Filename=pic2a.jpg Filesize=136KB Dimensions=1024x696 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The front cover of the folder features the Windham Town Hall.
pic1a.jpg
Close
Filename=pic1a.jpg Filesize=147KB Dimensions=1024x677 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The back cover provides Greetings from Willimantic.
pic2b.jpg
Close
Filename=pic2b.jpg Filesize=193KB Dimensions=1024x672 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The Connecticut State Armory on Pleasant Street, built in 1912.
pic3a.jpg
Close
Filename=pic3a.jpg Filesize=136KB Dimensions=1024x613 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The University of Connecticut campus at Storrs pictured shortly after its postwar landscaping project.
pic3.jpg
Close
Filename=pic3.jpg Filesize=177KB Dimensions=1024x610 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The Nathan Hale birthplace in Coventry. Captain Hale was hung by the British as a spy in the Revolutionary War, and is famed for saying that he regretted having only one life to give for his country.
pic4.jpg
Close
Filename=pic4.jpg Filesize=150KB Dimensions=1024x611 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The Willimantic Post Office was built in 1911, and now serves as a brew pub and restaurant, the Main Street Cafe.
pic4a.jpg
Close
Filename=pic4a.jpg Filesize=156KB Dimensions=1024x606 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The 1870 Congregational Church on Valley Street pictured with its ivy laden east wall. The ivy had to be removed as it was destroying the brickwork. Note the small spire, replaced after the 1938 hurricane destroyed the original spire.
pic4b.jpg
Close
Filename=pic4b.jpg Filesize=142KB Dimensions=1024x603 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The Windham High School dates from 1913, and became a Middle School
pic5.jpg
Close
Filename=pic5.jpg Filesize=144KB Dimensions=1024x597 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The 1876 St. Josephs Roman Catholic Church without its spire, destroyed in the 1938 hurricane.
pic6b.jpg
Close
Filename=pic6b.jpg Filesize=139KB Dimensions=1024x610 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The original Windham Memorial Hospital, built in the 1930s and greatly expanded since.
pic6.jpg
Close
Filename=pic6.jpg Filesize=120KB Dimensions=610x1024 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
St. Mary's Church Roman Catholic Church, built in 1903 for the city's growing French Canadian population. Its ornate spires were replaced in 1956.
pic5b.jpg
Close
Filename=pic5b.jpg Filesize=135KB Dimensions=1024x587 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
Looking west up Main Street from Lincoln Square.
pic8.jpg
Close
Filename=pic8.jpg Filesize=156KB Dimensions=1024x611 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The Willimantic River, looking west from the footbridge.
pic7a.jpg
Close
Filename=pic7a.jpg Filesize=161KB Dimensions=1024x616 Date added=Apr 18, 2010
The famous American Thread bridge welcomed visitors to Willimantic from 1917 until 1998.
27 files on 2 page(s) 1